A political division formed for administrative purposes and distinct from Census and Populated Place. In Ohio, a city is an incorporated place with a population over 5000.
A political division formed for administrative purposes and distinct from Census and Populated Place. In Ohio, a village is an incorporated place with a population less than 5000.
A statistical area delineated locally specifically for the tabulation of Census Bureau data (census designated place, census county division, unorganized territory, various types of American Indian/Alaska Native statistical areas). Distinct from Civil and Populated Place.
Place or area with clustered or scattered buildings and a permanent human population (city, settlement, town, village). A populated place is usually not incorporated and by definition has no legal boundaries. However, a populated place may have a corresponding "civil" record, the legal boundaries of which may or may not coincide with the perceived populated place. Distinct from Census and Civil classes.
Austerlitz was a speculation town that only existed on paper. It was located in the area near present day Harvard and Glendale Avenue, south of Walbridge Park.
Autokee was located on the east side of the Maumee River north of Bay Shore Road where Harbor View is now located. Autokee extended from just west of N. Wynn Road to the river.
Bailey was a village located in Waterville township just north east of Bend View Metropark along the Toledo, St. Louis and Kansas City railroad. There was a railroad station, called Bailey Station, located there along with the Fancher post office.
Originally called Shepherdsville, the name was changed to Bono when it was discovered there was already another Shepherdsville in Ohio when they applied for a post office. Bono is located between Jerusalem Road (state route 2) and Veler Road (county road 185) in Jerusalem Township.
Booth was located in present day Oregon, Ohio at the north west corner of Navarre and North Stadium Road.
Fort Industry was a stockade built about 1780-1786 and located in the area of current day Monroe St. and Summit St.
Ironville was located along the east side of the Maumee River near present day Front Street south of Millard Avenue.
Lucas City was located on the east side of the Maumee River directly across the river from Manhatten in what is present day Oregon, Ohio.
Manhatten was platted in October of 1835. It was located on the Maumee River near present day Riverside Park between Benjamin Stickney's land at Vistula and the Ottawa Indian village that was located near present day Detwiler Park at the mouth of the Maumee River. The town of Manhatten was oficially ended on April 24, 1848 when the plat was vacated. The Manhatten post office was discontinued on March 4, 1858.
Marengo was a speculation town formed by the Marengo Town Company which purchased the land from the U. S. government ob April 4, 1836 and located south of Delaware Creek and north of Toledo Country club near present day Marengo Street. The town ceased to exist when the affairs of the company were wound up by order of the court in August of 1838.
Momineetown was a post office located at the north east corner of Corduroy Road and North Stadium Road in present day Oregon, Ohio.
Neowash was a post office and railroad station located on the south west corner of Noward Road and Neowash Road in Waterville township. It was located along the Toledo, St. Louis and Kansas City railroad line.
The town of Port Lawrence was founded by speculators, that included Benjamin F. Stickney, in 1817 on the east side of Swan Creek but failed to materialize into much. A new town of Port Lawrence was platted in 1832 on the west side of Swan Creek and located in the area of present day Monroe and Summit Streets. In 1833, Port Lawrence combined with the town of Vistula to form the city of Toledo.
Presque Isle was a small island located in the mouth of the Maumee river. It, and the land surrounding it on the east side of the river, was owned by Peter Navarre and his bothers in 1830. There was also a Presque Isle post office located on the south side of Stitt Road near Black Road in Monclova township.
Platted in 1835 by Peter Manor (Minor), Providence contained 80 lots on 5 streets. With the coming of the Miami & Erie canal, Providence flourished. The Providence post office was established on September 9, 1836. In 1846, a fire burned the town's main businesses which were never rebuilt. In the early 1850's, a cholera epidemic killed many of the remaining residents of Providence.
Reynolds Corners is the name for the area around Dorr Street and Reynolds Road.
Rockwell Junction was located in present day Oregon, Ohio in an area bounded on the north by Oakdale Avenue, on the east by Drouillard Road, on the south by Wales Road, and on the west by East Broadway Street.
Tremainsville was a town located approximately where Detroit Avenue (then called th U. S. Reserve Turnpike) and Collingwood Boulevard (then called the Old Territorial Road) meet. Settlement of the area of Tremainsville began about 1823. The post office there Was called the Tremainville (without the 's') post office after the second postmaster, Calvin Tremain, in 1832-1833. It was later called Tremainsville (with the 's').
The Trilby post office was located at Whiteford Center Road and Secor Road.
The town of Vistula was formed by Benjamin F. Stickney in 1832. It was located on land he owned in the area of N. Summit St. and Lagrange. In 1833, Vistula combined with Port Lawrence to form the new city of Toledo.
Yondota was located at the north west corner of Jerusalem Road and South Yondota Street (county road 205).